Saturday, April 02, 2011

Travel Adventures: BALI

Bali 1

Bali 2

Last Sunday I headed out early to the airport to "tag along" on a work Assistant managers conference to Bali - I got to go on this one because the Managers conference fell on the Andrew McMahon weekend trip and I couldn't go. I didn't mind, I've never been to Bali before and it's a big seller in our store so I was excited to finally get to see what the fuss was all about.

We stayed in an area that was on the boarder of Kuta and Legian in Bali at The 101 Legian Hotel. This hotel had not technically opened yet so we were a little concerned about what to expect when we arrived. It was unfounded as the hotel was awesome and the staff at the hotel were so lovely and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.  PLUS we had our own rooms - which doesn't happened all that often on these conferences. 

Sunday afternoon we headed to The Haven hotel in Seminyak for a 2 hour conference and then an inspection of the hotel then dinner. I had been feeling a little under the weather when we landed - I thought it was just the change of climate or the aeroplane food and that it would pass, but it didn't. After dinner we headed back to our hotel to dump our stuff and head out for a drink but as soon as I hit the hotel I knew I couldn't head out again so I took some Panadol and went to lie down on my bed when nausea hit and I had to stick my head in the toilet for a little while. Not the best way to start a trip.

I woke up the next day feeling so much better. We had a free day to wander the streets and a whole group of us headed to the markets then shopping center for some retail therapy. We ate lunch at a restaurant on the beach and then spent some quality time by the pool. Someone suggested cocktails and who was I to argue when one of the hotel staff brought us cocktails as we soaked in the pool.

More after the break...




Avatar tree

That evening we went bar and restaurant hopping around Seminyak - we went to some of our Area Leaders favourite places in Bali. We had cocktails at Ku De Ta, then dinner at The Breezes Restaurant then dessert at The Living Room followed by MORE cocktails at a bar called Potatohead. 

Nusa Dua

Bali

The next day we visited a charity compound in Nusa Dua where they educate underprivileged women to help them learn to read and write so they can get jobs and support their families. It was a beautiful spot in Nusa Dua with amazing views from the restaurant. 

When we returned to the hotel I went out for lunch at Poppys Restaurant - I've been told about Poppys by a few different people and it was again another favourite from Sam (our Area Leader). I ate delicious food and had a few laughs at lunch before heading back to the pool for more soak time.

Bali Memorial

Kuta

Since this was our last evening in Bali Sam decided to treat us to buffet Japanese food at her absolute favourite hotel's restaurant - The Padma Hotel. I have never eaten more delicious Japanese food in my LIFE! PLUS there was a dessert buffet - YUM YUM YUM! 

We were picked up not long after we returned to our hotel from dinner.

All in all I had a great time. The people were friendly, the restaurants were amazing and the bars and nightlife was unforgettable. The beach left much to be desired and the heat was ridiculous but the Balinese know how to look after it's visitors. We were treated to some beautiful places and some magical gems. 

I now know Bali is not my kind of holiday destination but I feel so lucky to have been able to finally experience it. I don't know what it was but I was not instantly won over and it's not somewhere I'll rush back to but I can now understand the appeal it has to other travellers.

Happy Travels lovelies
 - Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment